- I want language thats
- aurora borealis, spotlights, footlights,
- blood-red velvet hung with pearls,
- tobacco-flavoured leather armchairs,
- gardenias, onions, Peking duck,
- Pavarotti starring at La Scala.
- I want my words to
- bounce like pinballs, ping and clang,
- cut sharp and clean as Ockhams
- tear newspaper from fish and chips,
- play tuba on the beach at six a.m.,
- roar Grand Final MCG.
- But what I mostly get
- is block of word
- placed carefully
- on block of word,
- trimmed square,
- dressed smooth,
- securely mortared,
- ready for the moss.