- MICHAEL SHARKEY
- The very sight makes voyeurs of us all.
- What is it like to live with that?
- Well never know unless dont
- and wed like to change the subject,
but we cant.
- What is it like? Wed like to look
away but dont
- were not here long, enough to show
- compassion that weve practised and
we do feel how
- it must be and half listen to the answer
- if our friend can speak at all. Wed
like to know
- how does it feel and where and how and
- did you first were you born with and are
- worse than others then what happens.
- Whats it like to live with answers
- every minute of the day, sometimes an
- every second, take for instance well
- thats that then when the penny
- before the doctors little chat has
- cant get better, could be worse.
- get worse. Therell be of course
- but the news is not all bad life will
- go on the days still fine, the
- running no ones dying that
youd notice. But
- therell have to be some changes.
- the looks that parents, partners,
children give us
- and the silences until we turn to
- again when youre all right here by
- sweet, no problem, well be off.
- for calling. And the books will lose
- the remote control will fall down out of
- or batteries fail, the thing we hoped
- occur has just occurred, and that in
- and its all right Ill just
sit a little while.
- But that Its all right
- Theres something queer about the
- Words dont mean what they should do
- everything goes at an angle to the
- Whats it like? No need for like
then. Who could
- like? And what is like? A birds a
- a treatment is a treatments not a
- But it could be. In a word, theres
nothing in it,
- pain of others is remote as if an image
in a mirror
- could have feelings, while compassion
- patience and that train will soon arrive,
- still fine and well be off then.
Its no problem.